Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Shamsuddin was made human shield by troops, cries Kupwara

Courtesy: Daily Rising Kashmir dt. April 21st, 2009 by Shahjahan Afzal
Kupwara, April 20: People in Chack Nutnussa and adjacent areas on Monday staged a massive protest demonstration demanding probe into the killing of Shamsuddin, 65-year-old retired head constable in Jammu Kashmir Police, who was allegedly made human shield by troops during a gunbattle in the area on Sunday.Protesters raising pro-freedom and anti-army slogans blocked Kupwara-Srinagar Highway demanding stern punishment to the guilty troopers and the Ikhwanis allegedly involved in the killing.Stating that it was discretion of armed troopers to enter the house where the holed up militant was, they said that Shamsuddin was made human shield by the troopers and killed in cold blood. The protestors also complained that the notorious Yousuf Ikhwani has unleashed a rein of terror in the area and is involved in grave crimes. Accusing that he has killed five innocents in the area, they demanded that he be disarmed and brought to justice. The Deputy Commissioner Kupwara and top police officials assured the protesters to conduct a probe to establish the circumstances which led to the killing of Shamsuddin.SP Kupwara, Uttam Chand told Rising Kashmir that he has assured people that an inquiry will be conducted to establish the circumstances which led to the killing of the civilian. “Any body found guilty will be treated as per law,” he said.Shamsuddin’ son, Muhammad Ashraf told Rising Kashmir that his father was forced by the troops to enter the house where the militants were holed up. An employee in the police department, Ashraf said, “My father was asked to persuade the holed up militants for surrender. When he refused the army officers and notorious Ikhwani Yousuf Khan who was accompanying the troops dragged and forced him to enter the house,”Eyewitnesses said Shamsuddin after entering the main door of the house loudly called upon the militants that the army was asking them to surrender, and returned back. Yousuf who was positioned at main door fired at Shamsuddin, one bullet hitting his abdomen and one hitting his right hand which led to his death by the time he had reached back to the main door of the house. After the death of Shamas-u-din, troopers resorted to heavy mortar shelling and razed the house to ground which was constructed last year.Shamsuddin is survived with four sons and three daughters who were all wailing on the death of their father. Saeda, wife of Shamsuddin, who is said to be a heart patient and has been relieved from hospital recently, was in a state of shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment